Monday 30 April 2012

DVF's Calvin Rescue


DIANE VON FURSTENBERG witnessed a near-disaster concerning long-term friend Calvin Klein during an adventure holiday to Peru a few years ago, which included a hike of the Inca trail. "We didn't have the boat that year, so Barry [Diller, von Furstenberg's husband], arranged the whole trip," she recalled. "We did the trail in a day, and then we did some rafting, and you know, the first thing they tell you on the raft is, 'if you fall off, just lie on your back and go with the current until they can fish you out.' So we get on the raft and - whoosh! The first thing I see is Calvin [Klein, who was on the trip] going off the raft. I thought, 'Oh no, he will die, it will be our fault!' But he was so brave, he was fine. A lot of the other people on the trip had been intimidated by him, but after that he was a hero."


The iconic designer, who spoke at The Vogue Festival last week, said that walking is one of her favourite pastimes. "Walking is my time to think," she told the Financial Times. "I like to climb - I'm a goat, a Capricorn. I also think it's a good way to talk to people. When my son was little, he used to say, 'Mom goes on walks for two reasons: to hire someone or to fire them.' It's true, I often ask people to walk with me when I want to talk to them about serious things. I think it's much better to have those conversations when you are moving."







ELLA ALEXANDER 30 April 2012
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/04/30/calvin-klein-diane-von-furstenberg-rafting-accident

No comments:

Post a Comment